Thursday, October 6, 2011

Dr. Meeks Talk about Hooliganism in European Soccer

Before Dr. Meeks came in to talk about Hooliganism, I was under the impression that it was misbehavior by fans when an outcome of a game didnt go as they had hoped.  However, I was completely wrong.  I was totally shocked to see that racism to such an evil extent occured in the 21st century.  I thought acts of racism were not present in today's society, however, as seen in the news clip, it seemed as if a major soccer event did not take place without slurs, chants, signage, and objects being thrown.  What surprised me the most is the organization and planning that occurs before events between hooligans.  I was not aware that such organizations exists in order to promote racism.  Even more surprising is that these organizations plot to just destroy cities and towns for the heck of it.  I just do not understand the point of doing such senseless and vicious acts, however, as Dr. Meeks told me, its a "way of culture" over there that is almost seen as normal in those kind of people's eyes.  Just to sum up my thoughts, I was completely unaware that these "organizations" exist and had the total wrong conception of hooliganism.  I was picturing hooliganism as mischieve in the streets after a team wins/loses a significant event.  However, it is a much more plotted out/complex and serious social issue that has hopefully been made more aware of globally in order to cease the actions.  Here is a link to show the extent of mayhem to which hooligans can create.
 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtOXiQToz64

No comments:

Post a Comment